Friday, July 24, 2020

Inflation!

In year 1998-2002 (20++ years ago), when I was a student in the university.  I spent RM 0.50 for a Nasi Lemak bungkus and RM 1.20 for three vegetables with white rice.  RM 2.00 for two vegetables, 1 fried chicken with white rice in the university hostel cafeteria.  The food was nutritious and good price.  I spent about RM 5.00 daily for my food 20 years ago.  I accumulated money for 10 years and I managed to travel the world.  

Inflation!  Inflation! And, Inflation!

Now, a student would want to save for 30 years in order to travel the world like what I have done.  Now, it is RM 1.50 for a Nasi Lemak bungkus and RM 5.00 for three vegetables with white rice.  RM 12.00 for two vegetables, 1 fried chicken with white rice in the university hostel cafeteria.

My undergraduate degree program was a 4-year program.  I owned an used Honda motorbike which I purchased it from my Karate-Do sensei.  Every week, I pumped RM 2 petrol which I could used it for one week.  Also, I gave tuition to high school students as one of my part-time jobs.  I worked in the restaurant, Bistro and Bar too as a waitress during my school time.  I only read my lecture notes one day before the examination dates and I did extremely well in my undergraduate degree and master because I used most of my free time for part-time jobs.  My message to all my students would be no part-time jobs during your study because you must read the lecture notes once before the lecture, then, you read another time during the lecture, after that read the lecture notes one more time after the lecture before you sleep every day.  Spend your holiday with your friends and family, if you can afford them, go for vacation together.  For those students who are not able to afford what I have suggested, no worry, you are born and bred as very hard-working students and future employees.       

Twenty years ago, when I worked as a waitress in the hotel restaurants, I was paid RM 5 per hour with free dinner; 5.00 p.m. to 12:00 midnight (RM 35 per day).  Also, I taught Chinese (Mandarin) at RM 80 per hour (3 times a week - RM 80 X 2 X 3 = RM 480 per week).  RM 35 X 30 + RM 480 X 4 = RM 1050 + RM RM 1920 = RM 2970 without TAX.  Four years of money accumulation/ collection, I managed to buy a camera and a digital camera, doing Scuba Diving and traveling around Malaysia and many other countries (Korea, Republic of Republic of Maldives, Egypt and Thailand) ever since when I was a student and many other activities.             

Sad to say that I am born and raise in Malaysia at the 70's.  I am a lucky girl.  I managed to own 3 properties at the same time when I had traveled the world.  This is something which I am proud of myself, my family and my citizenship as a Malaysian.  I have no problem to travel around the world with welcomes.             

Students, when you have a choice now, what type of student life are you going to choose? 


No comments: